Johnson Royals defeat Grace Tigers

KNOXVILLE– After a tight basketball game that took place Friday night, Jan 15, the Johnson Royals defeated the Grace Tigers. Both teams brought much needed effort to the court.

Royals fight hard for the ball

Tipping-off at 8 p.m., the Tigers were the first to score; however, the Royals were still determined to dominate the game.

In the first half of the game the Royals had a lot of good potential shots, but they just were not falling through. With 15 minutes left on the clock in the first half, the Tigers were in the lead with a score of 5 – 14.

The Royals did not let the Tigers get too far ahead, though. With 10 minutes left in the first half, there was a tight score of 21– 22. Chase Burke remarks that the Royals started the game out a little slow, but soon improved.

“I think we started off slow, then we started shooting the ball better once we got into the game,” he said.

The Royals had the lead in the game with 7 minutes left on the clock with a tight score of 29-28. The Tigers soon tied with the Royals and gained a 3 point lead until player 1, Rickey Bowen, brought the game to a tie of 32– 32.

Player 42, Gunner St John, makes a free throw shot.
Player 21, Jordan McClendon, made the crowd go wild with the first and only dunk shot of the night. At halftime, the Tigers had the lead by four points with a score of 43 – 47. At this point in the game, the outcome was not certain since the game was neck-and-neck.

Brianna Langley had some observations about the Royals efforts in the game. “The guys have been playing really well and their efforts during practice can be seen on the court,” she said.

Player 5, Kenny White

Before the second half of the game, Eric Gilpin had some pros and cons of the Royals in the first half. “They did a nice job moving the ball around on offense, but for defense they needed to have everyone covered,” he said. “They also needed to work on finding the open guy.”

In the second half of the game, player 5, Kenny White, helped the Royals catch back up with the Tigers on the scoreboard by getting a few shots.

Overall, the second half of the game let the team show determination as they worked together to achieve the win.

Royals encourage each other.

With 13 minutes left on the clock, there was a time-out called and Coach Perry had a few words of encouragement to the team. “Let’s just keep believing in ourselves,” he said “We are in good shape.”

Player 33, Taylor Gilpin, made a shot that gave the Royals the lead in the second half with a score of 83 – 80.  Player 42, Gunner St John, made two free throw shots with 27 seconds left in the game making the score 90 – 82.

The final score was 91 – 87, Royals with the win. Concluding the game, both teams joined at center court and ended the night in prayer. The Johnson Royals will be playing the Johnson Suns on Jan 28 at 8:00 p.m.

To watch the recording of this game, click here. For more information on Johnson University athletics or the schedules visit Johnson University Athletic Sports page.

The Johnson Royals and Grace Tigers battle it out for the win.


Leave a Reply